Monday, August 29, 2011

The "Ann Sock"

This weekend, I made my first pair of "Ann Socks," so named in honor of the very kind lady who told me HOW to make them. Ann attributed this sock to at least two other people, but she did admit to having changed what they had done, so, therefore, these are "Ann Socks" to me. If I get around to making substantive changes, I might start calling them "my" socks...

They are knitting toe-up, in the round using the ribber, with a short-rowed heel (the short-rowing is done on the main bed). The tops of the legs do not have ribbing on them, as you can't rib in the round (boo!), but instead roll down. I have an idea for how to attach ribbing while the socks are on the machine, but if it doesn't work, I'll probably take off any that need ribbing (such as those for Danny, who isn't a fan of the roll-down look) and do the ribbing by hand. (Ouch. I don't like to hand knit, I really don't, so I hope my idea for the machine-knit ribbing works!)

If/when I find the label from the yarn, I'll put a note here about what yarn this is, but I think it's a Bernat Sox or something similar.

Anyway...here is the first (note, I did say FIRST) pair! For me! The first pair of socks, by the way, that I have knitted for myself! The pink color doesn't really show up in this photo - but they are a lovely shade of pink with darker pink and some gray/green highlights. Love, love, love 'em!


Oh, and by the way - these socks represent the first project that I've made on the Knitmaster 700 that I bought myself for a graduation present! It only took me three months to get around to using it...and I have to give kudos where kudos are due, actually: another kind lady, Jo, from my knitting group was kind enough to spend a couple of hours at my house, giving me some tips on assembling the ribber correctly and walking me through my first sample of ribbed fabric. That sample was made of the yarn that is now one of the socks in the photo above.

So...to wrap up this post: THANK YOU, Ann and Jo!

1 comment:

  1. you are so talented! I cannot wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete